I’ll be the 1st to confess that I live for cheat days! But even when I’m cheating I try to keep it non-GMO, organic, kosher, locally grown or homemade.
From my coconut water to hot dogs I try to keep it clean. Clean eating is basically everything I mention earlier. In fact buying your greens from a local grower is typically the better choice.
- Most family farms don’t use pesticides.
- They often can’t afford the “organic” label fees.
- So they don’t charge organic prices.
- Their produce has a small carbon footprint.
- You’re supporting your community.
When to shop.
Buying organic isn’t expensive IF you know when and where to shop.
- Costco has organic whole chicken which can create several dishes. You can also grab quinoa, hemp hearts, chia seeds and organic bison. (You don’t need a lot of protein but you do need more plant fiber.)
- Fred Myers/ Kroger has an entire section of organic meats that have a regular expiration date. I typically wait for a sale and scoop up a bunch then freeze them. They also have my favorite coconut water, organic squashes and bananas.
- Greens – You can join a local co-op or produce box membership for a community farm. They have the best eggs and their greens are tasty. (A good egg should have a high yolk and vibrant coloring.) Also check WholeFoods on Amazon.
- Cash & Carry is a shop that sells to businesses and they specialize in offering Bob’s Red Mill grains and gluten free products.
- Costco Business doesn’t have the famous $1.50 hotdog combo but it does have bulk garbanzo beans, organic pho noodle bowls and raw honey.
Even when I’m blowing the bank I’m still observing some form of clean eating.
For example I showed my teens how to make lasagna and we went all out!
I enjoyed every single calorie and I’d do it again!
We made several pans because we invited our Ohana over for dunch (dinner + lunch). My brother couldn’t make it so he got a pan for his house.
You’re suppose to let it sit but that didn’t happen. We watched the layers of mozzarella and Tillamook cheese ooze down the side like lava.
It was glorious.
In Hawaiian we say…
Piha ka ‘opu
Full/content is the stomach.
So far my children and I have been sticking to our 4x’s or more fitness schedule. I haven’t opened my livestream sessions yet but it’s coming.
We’ve been enjoying the outdoors.