There were a few things that use to scare me! Like eating clean, working out 2-hours a day or meditating for an hour. I built up serious resistance to these in the form of excuses. Like…
“I can’t eat CLEAN because buying organic is $$$ expensive.”
“How long & what I do during my workout doesn’t matter, besides there’s not enough time. Unless there’s 26-hours in a day.”
“I meditate when I sleep 😴 so that’s like a two-for-one-deal. Besides meditation isn’t necessary.”
The culprit behind my list of excuses was fear. My complacency was a comfort zone where I allowed my fears to hold me. Instead of using that fear to spark my actions like a catalyst for positive change.
I decided to acknowledge my fears and use it to motivate me. Yes I said that my fears motivated me. Here’s the breakdown…
- Not eating clean > fear > expensive > LEARN > found out that there are many affordable solutions > CHANGED MY PERSPECTIVE
- Two hour workout > fear > loss of time > LEARN > I waste more time on social media. Also, I learned to communicate my goals & got support. > I CREATE TIME
- Meditation was silly > fear > didn’t understand its benefits > LEARN > started simple & joined a class > I FEEL BALANCED
Then I took this fear thing to the next level. I’ve always seen myself as a dancer but not a buff (slang for strong) person. High intensity workouts scared me because they challenged me. Then one day I decided to become STRONG By ZUMBA instructor. OMG!!! 😲 (Why?) I was tired of being afraid. I purchased clothing that actually said “STRONG” and “INSTRUCTOR” on it. Can you imagine.
I became a STRONG instructor in October 2016 and then in April 2017 my sister became one too! [Above are pictures from her class, below are mine.]
I have to say that I had the coolest group ever! They were from Hawaii, Texas, California, Idaho & Washington state. We still keep in contact to encourage one another. After all this wasn’t an easy class. Imagine doing a HITT training for one hour and breaking down each module for the next five to six hours. OUCH!
Above is my graduating class of STRONG instructors and a beautiful group of ladies. We all had our doubts and fears but we took it one movement at a time. And I think that’s the key to dealing with fear.
Use fear to motivate you by…
- Acknowledging the feeling.
- Discover “why” you feel that way.
- LEARN and gain knowledge because it is powerful.
- Break it down to smaller task and write it down.
- Keep it simple and only do one task at a time. Don’t skip or think about the next task. Focus on ONE.
Above is Madalene Aponte, Zumba ZES and an amazing instructor. She trained my sister and myself. If you’re interested in becoming a Zumba instructor I suggest you check her out.
I’m living the dream of a fit life and you can too. In fact I started monthly gatherings to encourage other women to join the movement. All of my guest are moms like me & I luv it.